Saturday, May 4, 2013

Minor Accident Equals Major Headache

A little over two weeks ago I was in a fend bender. I was stopped coming off the loop when the guy behind me bumped my bumper. It really was minor, but it did crack my bumper and mess up the paint. Just enough damage to be an inconvenience. Only thing wrong with the other vehicle - the vanity plate broke.

It was the end of the week before the insurance company contacted me and I was afraid to take in my vehicle before my trip to the Renaissance Festival. I did not want to drive in Atlanta traffic in a strange car and I also knew I would be parking in a field - I could just imagine the damage that could be done.

Instead, I waited until this past Monday to take my car into Elite Paint and Body. I had made plans already with Enterprise for a rental car a week in advance and I also called Monday morning to make sure everything was set for picking me up at noon. I assumed with over a week's noticed that a car would be ready for me. Not the case apparently. I had to wait about 20 minutes while they got a car cleaned up and gas.

I don't really like driving and was nervous about being in a different car (I've driven my car for 13 years). I was given a Ford Focus. Not a bad car, but hard to see out of, particularly when the flap over the trunk is half obscuring the back window because it isn't latched into place. I only drove the car a little ways before stopping to get something to eat and adjust the mirrors. The car felt like it was driving funny, but I thought it was just me driving a different car.

At the end of the day, I'm heading home on a busy highway when the low tire pressure light comes on. I had just been thinking I need to check the vent and door on the passenger side when I get home because something was vibrating loudly. The vibration - a bad tire. By morning the tire was completely flat. For how concerned Enterprise staff seemed about possible cosmetic damage to a car, you would think they would ensure they only sent out cars that were road worthy. It could have resulted in a horrible accident.

I was so dismayed and stressed about the situation. Seriously, I had drive the car less than hour total and maybe 20 miles total. I think statistically the odds of the tire issue being my fault are slim to none.  I tweeted Enterprisecares. The power of social media - you got to love it. Within minutes I had a response and the next morning my local Enterprise was super helpful and apologetic. They brought me a new car to my house and I had no more problems.

I picked up my car Thursday evening and it looks good - the inside is cleaner than it has been in a LONG time. This is the first time I've used Elite Paint and Body. I'm disappointed that no one did a walk around with me when I picked it up. The body shop I used before (they are no longer in business) always went over what they did and had me look at the car to make sure I thought everything looked right.

I'm so glad to be back in my own car. Too bad insurance doesn't cover time, stress and inconvenience a little accident can incur.

Photo credit: Red Car by Laurie Williams
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis